The best time to clean your air ducts is a question that many homeowners have. With changing seasons and potential allergies, it's important to maintain the cleanliness of your heating system. As spring and fall approaches, the thought of turning on your heating system may raise concerns about built-up dust, dirt, mold spores, and other allergens lurking in your air ducts.
That's why scheduling a thorough air duct cleaning during these times of the year is essential. Not only will it improve the air quality in your home, but it can also save you money and extend the lifespan of your HVAC system.
Now let's dive deeper into why spring and fall are the best seasons for air duct cleaning:
Springtime is all about fresh beginnings. As we open our windows to let in the warm breeze and pollen, we also stir up dust and allergens that have settled in our homes during winter. Additionally, spring is considered the off-season for HVAC technicians, so you can often find great deals and discounts on air duct cleaning services. Cleaning your air ducts in spring ensures that any buildup of dust, mold, or debris from the winter is removed before it has a chance to circulate in your home and cause health issues.
Fall brings cooler weather, and we rely on our heating systems. Before turning on the heat for the first time, it's crucial to have your air ducts cleaned. While dust and debris can accumulate during warmer months, shutting down your HVAC system for an extended period can cause these particles to settle and get in your air ducts. As the heat kicks on, these contaminants will be blown into your home, causing potential respiratory issues. Cleaning your air ducts in the fall ensures you start the season with a clean system and fresh air.
Now, let's address some common questions about air duct cleaning:
The frequency of air duct cleaning depends on factors such as the number of people in your home, pets, smoking habits, and the local climate. As a rule of thumb, it's recommended to have your air ducts cleaned every 3-5 years. However, if you or someone in your family suffers from allergies or respiratory issues, it's best to have them cleaned annually.
No. It's best to leave air duct cleaning to professionals like the ones at MileHi HVAC. They have the proper equipment and expertise to ensure a safe cleaning without causing damage to your air ducts or HVAC system.
The duration of an air duct cleaning depends on the size of your home, the number of air ducts, and the level of buildup. On average, it can take anywhere from 2 to 4 hours.
The cost of air duct cleaning depends on factors such as the size of your home, the number of air ducts, and the level of buildup. On average, it can range from $300-$500. However, the benefits of clean air ducts outweigh the cost of improved air quality & energy efficiency.
Choosing the right air duct cleaning service is significant. With so many companies claiming to be the best, it can take time to determine which one truly offers reliable and affordable services. Many companies will provide a quoted price for their services, but once they begin their work, they may try to upsell you on unnecessary items and services.
1) It's common for customers not to realize they are being upsold, as it can be easy to overlook added fees or services. For example, a company may advertise a price of $79.99 per system for air duct cleaning but then add an extra $20 for each vent that needs attention. Some companies may even charge additional charges for travel time or "per truck" charges.
2) To avoid falling victim to upselling, it's important to ask the company what is included in their quote and what is not. A reputable company should clearly outline its services without trying to push unnecessary add-ons. If a company does try to upsell you, say no and stand firm. It may take several attempts before they get the message.
3) Another tactic that companies use as a selling point is their years of experience. However, the number of years in business only sometimes equates to quality work. It is important to research a company thoroughly before hiring them, checking online reviews, and asking for references.
4) In addition to air duct cleaning, some companies may offer services such as "duct sealing," which involves injecting sealant into the connections on your heating system to seal any leaks or holes. While this can be beneficial, choosing a company that knows how to do the job correctly is important. Research and get references before hiring anyone for this type of work.
5) When it comes time to pay, ensure you receive an itemized list of all services and prices upfront. If a company does not provide one, ask for it or walk away. Getting quotes from multiple areas to compare prices and services is also a good idea.
6) Lastly, always read and understand any contract before signing. Never sign a blank contract, and don't be afraid to ask questions or negotiate terms you are uncomfortable with. By researching and being informed, you can ensure that you hire a reliable company that provides quality services at a fair price.